Friday, July 20, 2012

Social-tagging through Diigo

Social-tagging is a great resource for both teachers and students to be able to use. Here is a lesson I would use with Second graders to introduce tagging using Diigo.


Grade Level: 2nd grade
Content Area: Science
Materials/Resources: Students will be utilizing the computers in our computer lab. We will go to the computer lab as a class. Each student will be placed into a group of 4-5 students to complete the assignment
Learning Objectives: Students will be able to research information by using keywords (tags) on different animal groups to bring back to their own group for the group project.
Overview: Students will be doing a research project on animals and their characteristics. Each student will be placed into a group of 4-5 students. Each group will be given an animal group (mammals, insects, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians). The students are to research their animal group using sites already set up by the teacher in Diigo. The students will use tagging to find information only about their animal group. For example: if I was in the group for mammals I may type in the tag word mammals to find the sites that contain information about mammals. The students will do this independently in the computer lab and then bring back any information that they found to the classroom. They will then get with their group to discuss information and begin to plan their final project, a voicethread, introducing the other students to their animal group.
Lesson Questions: What are the needs and characteristics of animals?  How are animals we study alike and different? How can we use research to present a multimedia project for others to view?
Management:
Teacher’s Role: After discussing how the students look up information using tagging, the class will be taken to the computer lab.  The teacher will be walking around the room observing the children and answering any questions that may arise. Teacher will also be available in the classroom when students begin their work with voicethread.
Student’s Role: The students will need to actively participate in conducting proper research using the tags given on Diigo by the teacher. They will then write down information to bring to the group. The students will discuss the research found and then plan on how they are going to share this information to the class by using voicethread.

***Students will already know how to create a voicethread as we would have gone over it before hand by teacher modeling of the program.***

4 comments:

  1. I love all the technology incorporated into this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you posted your lesson to your blog. I think that you did a great job and like that 2nd grade students will be using this technolgy. The sooner we are able to ge tthem utilizing technology the better prepared they will be for the technological worl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting your lesson plan...this is a great strategy to allow your classmates and the world see and have input on how wonderful you are as a teacher. Integrating the use of Diggo with tagging and then voice thread is a mark of genius. Great Job...I want to borrow this idea and add this to my lesson plan...Thank you..Thank you..Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to use this...if that is ok with you of course?? I really like this lesson and I know that my 2nd graders will. I usually use the stacks on Delicious, but I know with Diigo I can do the same things, so I may think about switching it up for a few lessons. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete